Monthly Archives: October 2017
Timed writing! If you miss class, please arrange to make this up on Thursday or Friday.
Any questions about Friday #8?
Continue reading Julius Caesar. We begin with Act 1, Scene 2.
Today we reach Act 3 where the action will reverse for Caesar. Think about what mistakes he makes leading up to this point.
Return to the Cave
Open your Identity essay from September.
Work through the handout on Deconstructing an Argument.
Revise your essay if you’d like. These will be rescored on the evening of 6 Nov.
Finish up presentations from Friday.
Character chart for Julius Caesar. If you ever need to review the text we read in class, this link will be super helpful.
Begin reading the play.
Check out Friday #8. Spend 8 minutes brainstorming what you could write about.
Continue with Julius Caesar. We begin Act 2, Scene 2 today. In Shakespeare’s plays, Act 3 is where the turning point occurs. Be ready for it.
Today we will focus on syntax in the cultural appropriation articles assigned on Thursday last. Go back through your chosen articles and examine how the authors use sentence patterns and variety for an effect on the reader. Below are some basic questions to get you thinking about syntax. Assume WHY behind each one.
- Are the sentences simple and direct or complex and convoluted?
- Are the sentences loose/cumulative or periodic?
- Are there rhetorical questions in the passage?
- Is there variety in the sentence patterns?
- Does the author use repetition?
- Does the author use parallel structure?
- Does the author use antithesis?
- Does the author use juxtaposition?
Put your example of interesting syntax on this form.